Friday, October 24, 2008

Coaching not Resolutions

Why not resolutions? This is a question I get asked all the time and the answer is obvious. How many times have you made a resolution, at the beginning of the year, to do something or change something and then by end-January it's all forgotten?

How is coaching different?

It works on a desired outcome. Coaching helps you gain clarity on how to work towards a goal by helping you gain clarity, develop clear action steps on what needs to be done to attain the goal and most importantly it is about developing the HOW TO.

The HOW TO is to develop a strategy which can be replicated for future goals. It's all in developing the strategy.

Often my clients come in expecting me to solve their problems, tell them what to do, and are initially disappointed when I tell them that that is not what I do as a coach. Instead, as a coach, I help people get clarity by asking questions that require them to reflect internally.

Look out for my next blog on Questioning Techniques..

No comments: