Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Quarter-Life Crisis - Clarity and Values

What can you do if you’re experiencing quarter-life crisis?

· Life Goal Clarity

Just like in primary school you set out goals on which secondary school you wanted to go to, and then in secondary school you decided what course you want to take and then you devised plans to make the goals happen, similarly you set out your life goals.

Ask yourself the following questions:
o What is the kind of life I would like to lead when I’m 70?
o Who are the people I would like to have in my life when I’m 70?
o When I look back at my life at age 70, what would be the defining moments, what would be the events I recalled fondly and that I am most proud of?
o What did I do right from my 20s that brought me where I am at 70?


· What are your Values?

While doing the exercise above, you would find that driving your actions is a set of values. Every individual would have their own set of values that are derived from their own notions of what is right or wrong and their beliefs of how things should be. For example, a person may value family time and design work-life strategies that give them family time and this could be derived from a belief the person has that family has to be priority as they would always stick by one another.

As you design the life you want, get clarity of your values by answering the following questions:
o What is important to me about work, family, life, leisure, retirement?
o When I have (fill in what each of the above gives you), what will it bring for me?

No comments: